Because I spent the last several days of 2011 cleaning up my studio, I was raring to go on the first day of 2012. I am going to document my process better in the upcoming year, and give each completed piece a “story” – meaning I’m going to keep up with the materials used in each piece.
Today I started with a piece I have been working on and experimenting with. I had ALOT of texture on it, but wasn’t pleased with it. So – I spent some time burning the texture off with a blowtorch, as well as gunpowder. As a result, I burned through the canvas a few times.
|The piece I’m experimenting with – with my new hand sander!|
Below – you will see a sequence of pictures, beginning with the back of the piece to illustrate how much fire I used on it. I sanded it down and it lightened it up a little bit. I then added red to the areas on the painting that appeared to be bubbles as a result of the fire. I started to see a pattern emerged. I continued to play with it.
|the back of the 12×12 canvas|