In no particular order, here are ten random things I am thankful for.
- I AM UNIQUELY ME! and I no longer feel the need to apologize for it.
- LEARNING – You will learn something new every day if you just pay attention.
- THE DIVERSITY IN THE WORLD – As Ghandi said “Our ability to reach unity in diversity will be the beauty and the test of our civilization”.
- READING – without knowing how, I couldn’t read books or music. I couldn’t make notes, I couldn’t order off a menu. The list goes on.
- DO OVERS – We learn from our failures, not from our successes (I believe I am paraphrasing Bram Stoker here).
- RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS – humanity at it’s best.
- THE POWER OF MUSIC – This is something I have experienced first-hand this year with dementia patients. Music will light a fire, bring a sparkle to the eye, animate and wake up the soul. “Music is the literature of the heart, it commences where speech ends.” Alphonse de Lamartine.
- THE FIVE SENSES – sight, taste, touch, smell, hearing.
- MY MORNING RITUAL – every day starts with a bath and a book!
- MEMORY – working with those that are losing theirs, I am more aware than I’ve ever been how grateful I am for being able to remember.
Other random things I am thankful for are salsa, puppies, laughter, sunlight, indoor toilets for starters.
There are also what I call the “Fantastic F’s” of Gratitude – family, friends, freedom, faith, food, fitness (ok – I’m working on this one) and many more. Can you add any?
“Never stop dreaming, never stop believing,
Never give up, Never stop trying, and
Never stop learning.” Roy T. Bennett
And most of all, I am thankful for you!!!!!
What are you thankful for? And I’ll leave you with this quote by Mary Oliver: